Tuesday, May 20, 2014

After Day 2

Yesterday we had a fun day filled with the excitement of monotony.

Repetition... doing things over and over and over again. Why? Well, practice makes perfect. It is one of the things that we have heard ever since we were kids. The more you do something, the better you get at it... plain and simple.

As I walked through the classroom yesterday and observed everyone's progress I could see that some students had a tad bit of difficulty while others grasped the procedures very quickly. That does not make anyone better or worse... that just means there are different levels of comprehension. Yes, Illustrator tools can be testy, difficult to learn or cause the immediate reaction of 'W.T.H...' Grins. That is why we do repetitions. To find out what we are doing and perfect the method.

Yesterday we started the class walking down memory lane and revisiting a fun movie called 'the Karate Kid'. Why? Well, because it is the best example I can think of when expressing the importance of repetition on something that many may find pointless. What the hell does 'washing a car' or 'sanding a floor' have to do with karate? Nothing really... but it definitely helps you develop the skills of discipline, muscle endurance and strength. the same applies to repetition with tools in Illustrator.

Draw guides, click and drag, scale it up or down... dot... dot... dot... oops, erase, over and over again... grrrrr... frustrating... ok wait... try again... grrr... click and oops... oh wait... lemme try this... HEY! It worked! Now, how did I do it again? Lemme see... hmmm... click... drag... WOAH! It worked again! Excellent! I am gonna be great at this! I HOPE I remember how to do this next week!

That is what it sounded like last night, but not once did I see anyone with the face of frustration... it was more like looks of determination to get it done right, and that was very comforting to see. A student can only learn if he or she is taught the right way. That was one of the other lessons The Karate Kid taught us...

'There is no such thing as a bad student... only a bad teacher.'

So please, if you're having trouble with something, do not hesitate to ask for help. That is what I am here for. I, in no way, shape or form, expect anyone to be a master of Illustrator in 15 weeks. But I sure as hell would like to know that you are comfortable with the basic tools and enjoy creating with it. You'll eventually develop your own style and technique, and that is a good thing. My job as a teacher is to show you how to use the tools, not teach you my style, nor change your style. My job is to help you develop your talent and make great things with this program called Illustrator. I will show you how to use the tools.. and how you use them afterwards is entirely up to you.

Now, I want to share some examples of Illustrator projects I did in the past. Remember when I said to never thrown anything away? heh heh... The following images are Illustrator projects I did while I was in college back in 2006-2008. And remember, you can only get out of it what you put into it... listen and learn... take notes, practice over and over again... repeat steps over and over, time and time again, until you find that which makes your artwork pleasing to yourself first.

Once again, remember, these illustrations were done during my time as a student at Nossi... repetition is a good thing.





Anything is possible if you set your mind up for success. And that can only happen if you are passionate about what you do. Remember, nobody is forcing you to study graphic design; that was your choice. So... make this decision the best one you have ever made.

See you guys in a couple of weeks... study the Illustrator Tools and their shortcuts... and if you have time (which I am sure you will), practice what we covered in class on May 19th. There are plenty of
Open Source Illustrator Programs that are similar to Adobe Illustrator that you can use to practice. So feel free to check them out.

See you guys in a couple of weeks.

Practice makes perfect.

Wax On... Wax Off.

Later!

No comments:

Post a Comment